Tuesday, September 23, 2008

WRITING IDEAS

I have been asked "where do you get your ideas for writing." Here are some ways to get your creative juices flowing:
1) Get a dictionary and randomly open and point to a word. Now put Village, Town, City, World behind it and just start writing. That's a fun way.
2) Read one of my articles about Writer's Block - No Such Thing http://www.alongstoryshort.net/WritersBlockNoSuchThing.html That will give you some other ideas for: Setting, Object, Character, and more.
3) I love the book, "The Writer's Book of Matches" by the staff of fresh boiled peanuts. There's over 1001 prompts to ignite your imagination.
4) Have you ever read another story and you said I would change that and make it this way, etc. This is not plagerism, unless you copy word for word. I suggest you don't ever copy anyone's work. But, another persons story might give you an idea for your own.
5) The internet is a plethora of ideas. Go to any online library and just scout titles of books or journals. I'm sure something will give you a nudge.
Try one of these and let me know if it works for you. Everyday life is full of ideas: something someone says in the store, a newspaper articles, a soap opera, news, movie, etc. Keep a journal with you at all times: in your car, bathroom, and wherever you relax. Most likely that will be the time you need to write something down.
Start today. I look forward to hearing about your adventures.
Linda

No comments: